As we are co-located with our partner schools, The Russell School, Grey Court School, and St Richard Reynold’s Catholic College, our learners have experienced a number of opportunities to work and play with their peers in the mainstream schools. To make this beneficial for as many learners as possible, we aim to ensure that these opportunities are:
- planned, so we can ensure they take place regularly,
- meaningful, so everyone gains something from each and every activity,
- and appropriate so that leraners are mixing and learning from others their own age and who are part of the local community.
Here are some of the activities we have shared so far:
- Christmas Productions
- Sports Days
- Makaton Choir Club
- Shared IT Lessons
- Library Sessions
- Lunchtime and playtime visits from mainstream learners
- Some Strathmore learners having their lunch in the mainstream lunch hall
- Mainstream pupils volunteering to help with lunchtime clubs.
We are always happy to hear about new ideas from parents or from the wider community about other ways we can offer opportunities for working with our co-located schools as we all work together to build a future that is more inclusive. This is a critical part of our vision to ensure learners are active contributors to their community.